12826847

I engaged a builder to carry out work on my roof, gutters,

Customer Question

I engaged a builder to carry out work on my roof, gutters, facias and other associated work. After the work was completed I had another roofer check the work done. His comments were that, this was the worst job that he had ever seen. I have written to the builder asking for restitution but, I have heard nothing from him. I also said in my letter that I would be seeking to take him to court if we couldn't come to some agreement. What are your thoughts.?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What will it cost to put right?

Why did you get it checked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have paid £7,500. To correct the work will cost £4,000. I had it checked because, although I am not a builder, I am also not stupid and, I can spot rubbish work when I see it.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What are the specific grounds of the complaint?

What exactly has he got wrong?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1, The front facia boards are too small and incorrectly fitted to the roof tiles, and gives no support to the bottom row of ties.
2, Below the front apex, there is a hole either side where the facia boards are not finished properly.
3, The rear pitch of the main roof and rear additions roof are both fitted with soffit boards instead of facia boards, both are ill fitting and again do not support the bottom row of roof tiles.
4, The rear additions roof has not been stripped back to the roof timbers as requested, the old felt is still on the roof and, the new felt does not reach the gutter. Most of the new felt is still inside of the roof space. If several tiles were broken on the roof, the rain water would end up inside of the rear addition.
5, There is no new lead flashings anywhere on this roof. There is a lot of cement been applied to the front left fire wall, rear right fire wall on top of some old 6 inch lead.
6, The rear chimney stack has been covered with cement for what ever reason.
These are the comments from the chap who I asked to check the work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have a comprehensive list of the work necessary to carry out remedial work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there.?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Is the new roofer willing to go to court and give this evidence if required?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would have to check with him but, he is not happy that the people who did the work on my house are the ones who give roofers a bad name.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He did tell me that the "work" done on my house was the worst that he had ever seen.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, but it is not that simple. That is the sort of thing that lay people say without really considering the meaning. It is an emotive statement which isn't sufficient.

To claim from the original roofer you have to show that the work fell below the standard required. It is not as simple as saying that you are displeased unless you agreed that satisfaction was guaranteed which is not likely with a contract of this value.

Therefore, another roofer needs to specify the ways in which this work is faulty. You would probably be advised to get the opinions of two roofers and quotes from both. Choose the cheapest and write to him with the quote warning him that if he doesn't resolve this you will instruct another and sue for the cost. Give him a specified time period.

If he still doesn't respond then do the work and issue against him at the small claims court.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
163;7,500 or £4,000 I can afford. I am not rich but, do I need this aggravation. Because of the law, should I take him to the small claims court, and win, he will simply declare his company bankrupt and then start up a new one. The law, don't you just love it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I might just as well let him carry on conning other fools like me.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

There isn't any other way to recover than to sue I'm afraid.

That is the only remedy in law.