12826847

Restorer of storic vehicles, I was offered free storage cars

Customer Question

I am A restorer of historic vehicles, I was offered free storage for 4 cars whils i worked on an engine for the individual offering the storage. The work has been carried out free of charge as his project was caught up in the liquidation of a limited company I was Director of, out of good will I offered to complete the engine labour free rather than him recovering the upfront payment for labour from the liquidators. He was told it would take time and I had no indication of a problem until one of the clients who owned one of the cars in storage commissioned me to show a potential purchaser his car. I was avoided and eventually told that the cars were no longer there, then I was told after pressing that he wanted an undertaking for the completion of the engine. This undertaking I gave with an attached list of the customers cars, foolishly I listed one of the cars as being mine, it was not it was the property of my father who has bill of sale and all relevant documents to his ownership. I said that it was mine as I had always been allowed to drive it in the past and I wanted to avoid unnecessary conflict with my father.
The police were involved and it was decided that the engine was to be returned and the cars given up. I delivered the engine and collected 3 out of the 4 cars time ran short in the day and a asked if I could pick up the last car, the car in question the following morning and that the owner would pay rent for the night, I was told that this was ok and to ring in the morning, this I did and was told that the car was not going to be made available as he wanted the parts to be checked by a specialist over the weekend. I am one of the countries leading specialists in this particular engine and took a detailed inventory of the parts delivered , I have heard nothing I have stated to the police and to the person holding the car that I was wrong to claim ownership and have no rights of ownership. The Police told me that he only had 60% of his engine which is untrue and after 13 days I have heard nothing from the man retaining my fathers property.
The police refuse to have any further part in the matter. The Police say that I made a contract when I listed one of the cars as being mine even though in truth it was not.
The Undertaking was never signed as I was told it was not enough. The police at Gloucester Police station ( the closest to where the cars were being held) were very helpful, then it was handed to Stroud (further away from the issue) and the tone suddenly changed and have treated us as if judgment had been made in favor of the man holding the car.
I am at a loss as what to do and my father the same.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve please?