12826847

I need advise regarding a letter I received from police

Customer Question

Hi I need advise regarding a letter I received from police for careless driving-fail to report a road traffic collision and fail to stop following a road traffic collision.What actually happened was I only noticed my car had a scrape on the rear door after I came home.I certainly struggled parking my car in a narrow parking bay and I eventually moved out of it as I couldn't park it.I thought I was blocking the way by taking so much time so I pulled out from there.Only when I came home I realised there was a minor scrape on my car I thought I might have scraped the adjacent car.If I knew I scraped I would have certainly stopped and exchanged my details.I was contacted my the insurance and explained what happened and said Inmight have accidentally scraped the adjacent car so I am happy to accept liability for it and sort the other persons car.Just a day after this I got a letter from the police.I called the police station and spoke to the contacted person on the letter and she asked me to fill the details on the form I received and send a letter explaining what happened.Will I be prosecuted for this need advise please.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Why didnt you report this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It happened on Sunday and I don't have the details about the other car and I wanted to tell my insurance and I got a call from the insurance guys yesterday and I explained to them everything .I had a little baby 2 months old in the car when I came home and the superstore is far from my house so I could t even go back.I was absolutely unsure what to do that day.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, so why didn't you report to the police within 24 hours?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I definetly didn't realise I had to inform police otherwise I would have reported it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In my 5 years of driving I never experienced a situation like this and I have always been careful.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. In that case there is a reasonable chance they could prosecute.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Come what may, this is a failing to stop and report.

What they may well do is summons for failing to stop and report and also for careless driving.

But if you offer to plead to careless driving in exchange for dropping the failing to stop and report that will probably be acceptable to them.

If they allow you to deal with this by just providing insurance details then that would be a very good deal.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I could do a phone call but not until tomorrow as I'm out of the uk until then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh do I have to get in touch with a solicitor will there be a court case what should I do know.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You may not get legal aid but you can pay privately.

Generally speaking you are better off with representation although a barrister under public access will be much cheaper.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your advise
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No problem.

All the best.