Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Odd question. I would say I have harrased my ex girlfriend

Customer Question

Hello, odd question. I would say I have harrased my ex girlfriend several times exclusively via online medium and have contacted two colleagues - in a polite manner. And her once malliciously - only slur,definately nothing that threatens her safety. Am I liable to legal action. I dont want anymore contact but I am very hurt and depressed and have become emotionally unhinged. I am very worried of the consequences of my actions
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My ex called me up a day ago threatening police involvement. I have since the gotten angry and written her two hurtful emails. I am now very worried, I was upset and lashed out.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can I write a formal apology signed by a lawyer or something?
Expert:  Harris replied 8 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. The police will only consider it harassment and would put you at risk of being arrested if it was targeted to her, it was calculated to alarm or cause her distress and was oppressive and unreasonable.

She could also have grounds to pursue an injunction against you.

I would suggest that you do not undertake to contact her or her colleagues as this will only further support a case if the police were to be involved.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Harris, Law Specialist
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi, please can you help me prevent police action.I would like to write a written apology and agree never to contact her again
Can you contact me by phone?
Expert:  Harris replied 8 months ago.

Sorry, I cannot take a phone call at the moment. However, you cannot prevent her from reporting the matter to the police if she wishes to do so, and it will be for the police to assess whether there are grounds to arrest you. I would think that if you wrote her a letter or contacted her again for whatever reason then this will be used by her to support a claim of harassment.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
can you write a letter on my behalf formally apologizing, or anything similar?
Expert:  Harris replied 8 months ago.

I am afraid that is outside the remit of this website, but like I have stated earlier, such a letter may be used by her to support an allegation of harassment. It may be better to stop all communications with her to prevent any action.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

Hello.

I'm afraid the answer you have received is incorrect.

If you have made contact on more than two occasions with no response then the police will consider this harassment.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

The harassment legislation does not demand that contact be oppressive or unreasonable.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

The current definition of harassment that the police use involves only two instances of contact, even of a pleasant kind, with no response.

However all they would do that at stage is issue a harassment warning unless there were a history to this.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay, But I want to apologize in some manner and promise to cease any further harassment, is this not possible? I realise what I have done is wrong. I am at the moment clinically depressed and am taking medication. I know this is not an excuse.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

That said, they could well arrest and deliver a harassment warning.

Also, if there has been an unpleasant incident of contact then you would certainly be at risk of arrest.

On no account writing apologising. That will be considered a further act of vexation.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

Just stop contacting her.

The older the acts of contact the less likely are the police to consider actually prosecuting or she is to make a report.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

She may report this, she may not.

The fact that she phoned you first tends to suggest she is not in the business of making attention seeking reports.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

She could have just approached the police which is what most professional victims would do.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thank you I am very worried, my world has fallen apart, now I am facing police action. And I have hurt someone I held dear.My last email was very damning and will incur a lot of hate.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

If you had written to her immediately after receiving her call apologising then it might have been possible to argue that was reasonable maybe.

All it will do now is make things worse.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will not contact her again,I only thought a lawyer apologising on my behalf might make it clear I would not take this any further
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

Don't worry about whether you hurt her. All you have done is a send a few unpleasant emails. Nobody has died. A stronger person would not waste the resources of the police over this.

However, it is reasonable that she wants you to stop contacting her.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

It is not a good idea. Not at this stage.

Just have nothing more to do with her.

If you are arrested then they might caution you. It depends on the nature and volume of the contact. If this was just insulting rather than actually threatening then it is not the worst harassment.

Would you mind making clear whether you found my answer more helpful or my colleague's ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Certainly, you have been most helpful - how do I make this clear
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

Don't worry.

That is all you need to do.

I am a criminal practitioner so do come back if you need more information.