How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask F E Smith Your Own Question

F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9032
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

My neighbour applied double garage and kitchen extension

Customer Question

My neighbour applied for planning for a double garage and kitchen extension which we had no objection to after seeing plans. However new plans were submitted with both buildings moved back onto our shared access and had them approved under delegated powers by planning, as they quoted a minor change. Our deeds and there's and the other 2 houses involved all have a covenant stating right of acces for prambulators wheelbarrows bikes etc. This we can't now do as opening is narrowed down from 1.2 Mtrs to 780 cm wide. What can we do
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 10 months ago.

Because he has planning permission does not necessarily mean that he is not going to be in breach of this covenant.

This is not a matter for the local authority or the local government ombudsman. They will not get involved with regard to any restrictive covenants on the land. They are only involved with the planning consent. They will not consider those covenants.

Assuming that he has not started the work, you can apply to court for an injunction to stop the work and make him change the plans so that this access is not obstructed. If he doesn’t, it would be for the court to decide whether what he’s doing breaches the covenant.

If he has already started the work, you need to act really quickly to get the work suspended although the threat coming from the solicitor of court action and legal costs might do the trick without the need to go to court.

31 inches, 780 mm is the width of a normal door in a house and it’s highly likely that and wheelbarrow bicycle would go through that gap.

So you want get a temporary injunction to stop the building work pending the decision as to whether what he is doing is breaching the covenant.

If there are 2 of the houses affected by this, try to get the others to join in the action instructing solicitors so that the costs and risks are divided three ways.

However, if the other 2 do not want to get involved, they will still get the benefit of the legal result without risk.

Check your house insurance to see if you have legal expenses that would pay for the legal costs.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It is an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

Best wishes.


F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9032
Experience: I have been practising for 30 years.
F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi if we did not have insurance legal cover would it be expensive to persue this through the courts? . The path now would not be wide enough for a wheel chair as in one place it's 760 cm. As it shows on our deeds shaded in yellow the pathway with right of access a path different now was straight for about 35 Mtrs through another garden in a straight line but now it has a narrow section then a normal one will this affect any future sale of house ,as deeds are different from reality thank you
Expert:  F E Smith replied 10 months ago.

It would depend whether the neighbour defended the application or not. The court application fee itself is not expensive, just a few hundred pounds.

If solicitors are dealing with it for you, they will charge £200 per hour including VAT or thereabouts.

If the other side are using solicitors, they will have the same kind of cost.

Fully defended hearing like this, could easily relieve the loser of £10,000 if solicitors are used to know solicitors are used, the costs would be hundreds.

I just measured the internal doorways of my house and they are 735 mm and the external door is 770 mm.

Something like this

may help you if ever this gets to court.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice