12826847

I rented a property and at the check out the landlord

I rented a property and at the check out the landlord refuses to pay my deposit back
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Hello is this an AST?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The reason they hold 600 pounds out of 2100 is for re-cleaning the property and allegedly that I returned it in worse state that I received it. They claim that I filled holes on the walls (which I highlighted to the agent the day I viewed the property), and that it is not cleaned to professional standards and that i damaged areas in excess of wear and tear (whatever that means). I have been renting for the past 5 years and never had an issue with the deposit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I knew that something like that will come up as there are several breaks in the contract from the landlord's side; They lied about a washer/dryer facilities (washer only), they refused to fix issues that came up especially a window which was not locking, despite informing them that the area was targeted by thieves and from that window access was possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Plus on top of all that, I fixed light bulbs when I moved in, I am gifting them a sofa and gave them 1 month free internet until the new tenant settles in (contract only stops in august with the broadband company).
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Does the contract say you are liable for professional cleaning?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i employed a professional cleaner for the job.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forgot to mention that the contract says that the flat should be secure and clearly it wasn't as access by third party was possible (from the faulty window)
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You can always complain to the scheme.

Quite apart from anything else, it doesn't cost £600 to have the property professionally cleaned.

If the property was clean when you left because you employed a person to clean it then it should be a simple matter of producing their report.

The scheme probably won't much like the attempt to make you liable for a professional clean anyway as that is a landlord responsibility generally speaking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would be all! Thank you very much.