Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My cousin has been living years rent free in a house owned

My cousin has been living for 13 years rent free in a house owned by her ex-partner. He has never lived there. She would like to move out. He would like to sell the house. There's no written agreement. Does she have any claim on the proceeds of the sale? She has maintained and decorated the house.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Are they married and do they have children, if so how old are the children and what are the proposed arrangements if they do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not married and one adult child who lives independently.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. What maintenance and decoration has she done to the property (in money terms?) and would it have added any significant value to the property or was it standard upkeep to the property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know a value but doubt it's added much to the value of the house. Just routine maintenance. (PS sorry for the delay. I was at work then out for the evening)
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming. Unfortunately, without any formal agreement and because they are unmarried and have no children, she has no legal interest in the property and has no claim on the proceeds of the home.

I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for, but if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you,