Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I separated from my partner in october (co habiting) and we

Customer Question

I separated from my partner in october (co habiting) and we have gone through the process of remortgaging, removing him from the deed and releasing enough equity to buy him out (50%). This completed this week. We have agreed on dividing possessions. Now however he is claiming he wants me to pay for half the central heating repair we both paid equally into 18 months ago. Also he has continued to live in the property without paying any contribution to bills on the promise we would sort it out after the remortgage completed, now he is refusing to pay. What are my rights and responsibilities for these two points.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for your enquiry. I know it is easy for me to say, but both of these matters should have been finalised on or before you completing the Transfer, as there would have been an onus on both of you to come to a full and final settlement. Anyway, the position now is that if either of you did wish to make a claim against the other, you would have to issue small claim County Court proceedings. Here is the link as proceedings can be issued online.https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview I am afraid this is the only way you or he can force the issue. You may of course decide that Court proceedings will be too much of a trouble and stress, and that you both agree to let matters lie. I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but it sets out the legal position. Kind Regards Al