Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I have a accountancy firm chasing me for £1600 in fees that

I have a accountancy firm chasing me for £1600 in fees that I have never agreed to. I had agreed to £500 and have an email from them confirming this. How should I challenge this given we disagree and they have sent a demand for payment. Can I take the county court route?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. You do not need to sue them to deny liability, you can simply write to them and say you deny liability for £1600 as you contractually agreed to £500 for the services. Have they threatened to sue you? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I have disputed and they have sent a final demand threatening to recover via a debt collection agency.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you. I would write back them as follows:

(i) Say you deny any liability for the additional fees;

(ii) You agreed a fee of £500 for the work which you will pay;

(iii) Any attempt to extort further money from you will be deemed unlawful harassment under s40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 which is a criminal offence;

(iv) Say if they continue to chase you, you will hold them responsible for any fees incurred in obtaining professional advice and you will complain to their professional body.

If they sue you, you will then have to submit a defense and respond to the proceedings.

Kind regards AJ

Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you. I would write back them as follows:(i) Say you deny any liability for the additional fees;(ii) You agreed a fee of £500 for the work which you will pay;(iii) Any attempt to extort further money from you will be deemed unlawful harassment under s40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 which is a criminal offence;(iv) Say if they continue to chase you, you will hold them responsible for any fees incurred in obtaining professional advice and you will complain to their professional body.If they sue you, you will then have to submit a defense and respond to the proceedings.Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Last question. So, what happens if they use a debt collection agency and threaten a CCJ? Is there no way I can be more proactive here?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you. You can be pro active by complaining to their regulator

www.icaew.com/

You cannot sue someone as a means of defence, it is your right to a) deny liability and b) not be harassed for a debt. If they do harass you, and the harassment is very serious you could complain to the police (but that is a last resort).
If they commence a county court claim then you could take aggressive action and apply to have the claim struck out, on the basis that they have no contractual grounds to bring it.