How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 848
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

How can I make my depressed ex partner leave the flat I own?

Resolved Question:

How can I make my depressed ex partner leave the flat I own?
After 7 months living together I broke up with my partner 5 weeks ago.
She has been depressed and medicated for the last 5 years (before we met) After breaking up she got another episode and stopped working.
In good will I offered her 1000£ upon leaving for the cost of missing our holidays and moving in and out but a few days later she demanded I should pay her 1500£ immediately.
There was no tenancy agreement or rent. She was paying half of the bills and she claims that being the service charge included in the bills plus buying a wardrobe and moving a radiator at home (total 500£) give her rights to stay.
She has a brother in town with a spare room. She owns a flat in another city and has savings.
I have tried to be friendly but she is not cooperative and insults me regularly.
I am willing to give her more time but in the end...can I evict her and how? How long is a reasonable notice to leave if we broke up 5 weeks ago and she has depression?
Can she gain housing rights and stay for how long? If so,  does she start to pay rent?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.


Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

Please may I ask - is the house solely owned and in your name? has she ever paid the mortgage? a deposit? or renovated?

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Caroline.The house is only in my name.She never paid mortgage.No deposit.She wanted to move a radiator from one wall to another (I didnt want to) and she paid that partially with 175£. (I also contributed sone money yo it in the end) She has no recipe for it. She also bought a wardrobe for 330£ although I think I gave her that money in cash. No more renovation relatedThanks
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.


The reality is that your ex has no right to occupy your property.

Whilst she may have a very limited claim in respect of adding value to the property - this doesnt give her a right to occupy and what you have offered is more than sufficient to reimburse her for her contribution.

You need to give her a date to vacate by. If she doesn't go - then you could change the locks so she can't gain access.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Kind Regards


Please kindly remember to star rate our service so that we receive credit for helping you today

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Caroline. Just 2 quick questions if that is okWhen should the date to vacate be? In 1 month? 2?Does her depression change things at all?I will rate you favourably, thanks
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.


There is no set timescales - because she is not a tenant. You can choose what you consider as reasonable. one or two months would be very reasonable.

There is no change in the legal position because of your girlfriends depression.

kind regards


ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Law Questions