Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have received notice to appear at a directions hearing in

Customer Question

I have received notice to appear at a directions hearing in family court at 8.00 tonight for a hearing at 12.00 tomorrow. This seems unreasonable. What can I do?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Despite the extremely late notice you have been given, if you are a party to the proceedings you should attend the hearing.

For further information please confirm what the application is about and who it is by?

In the meantime if you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's family court and I was advised by my ex-partner by text (pdf). We have been waiting five months since the last hearing and I would have to take unpaid leave which I can't afford to do as I can't give any notice. I also have no time to prepare. Can I not get it adjourned due to lack of reasonable notice?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your further information. I do not think you will have adequate time to request an adjournment unless it can be agreed with your ex-partner. Furthermore, it is unlikely that the hearing would have been listed today by the court if you have been waiting a few months for the listing - the court would have written to both of you giving adequate notice unless an urgent hearing is required. You should check with the court to ensure that they have your address on record so that documents are sent directly to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The court order was dated today. It is my daughter's birthday on Sunday and I am due to have her for the first time on her birthday. Our last hearing was in December. The court order said she had to inform me. It seems totally unfair.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

I see, in that case it may be an urgent issue that has led to the court hearing