propertylawyer
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
94563951

I own a flat in London which I intend to transfer in my

Customer Question

I own a flat in London which I intend to transfer in my grandson's name as a gift. Could you please explain me briefly the procedure. I live in India and my grandson lives in Canada. It is necessary that I have to be in London to effect the transfer or can it be done from where am currently staying. Thank you.
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Is the property registered or unregistered?

Is it leasehold?

Is it mortgaged?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It s a lease property registered in my name. No mortgage.

You should not require landlord's consent to the transfer.

You use land registry form TR1.

You complete the form with your details, including and price or state if no consideration.

Technically, you would insert an indemnity covenant to record that the new owner is responsible for payment of Rent and performance of the lease obligations and will indemnify you if now and you are sued.

If you include the indemnity covenant then you both need to sign in the presence of a witness. If you don't include an indemnity covenant then only you need to sign.

Once signed, you date it.

The signed and dated TR1 is sent to the Land Registry with form AP1. There is a £40 fee to pay.

If you do this yourself and do not use solicitors then you also need to verify your ID and you do this on Form ID1. You need to get it signed off by a layer but you may need to clarify the position with the land registry as you both live outside of the UK. You may need you ID notarised by a notary public.

You the sent TR1, AP1, transfer, ID1 and £40 fee to the land registry.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any questions or queries in relation to my reply.

Hi, just following up to see if you need any further assistance.

Happy to help if I can.

Please can I ask you to accept /positive rate my assistance. Thanks.

propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience: Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much indeed for your prompt advice. Would it be possible for you to arrange the transfer processes done. I am willing to pay the required fees. On hearing from you I shall send the property/personal details. Kind regards. Col. S.B.Nair
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I am a moderator for this topic. I am very sorry but JustAnswer is an online question and answer site and Experts are not able to work for you directly.
I do apologise again for the inconvenience and I hope you will use JustAnswer again in the future.