13262538

My husband left me 5 years ago and promised to support me

my husband left me 5 years ago and promised to support me financially and so far has kept his promise,so it was easier to go along with things his way my question is what rights do i have,i am 63 years of age. he pays the mortgage what would happen to me if he stops. best regards
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How long had you lived together?

How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?

What other assets are there and what income do you each have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have been married since 1991 lived together for 2 years before marriage. as far as i am aware there are no other assets the house is worth £190 000 roughly £100 000 left on the mortgage i have only had a few part time jobs as he did not want me to work but tried I have no idea what he earns all i know is he must earn far more than he did when he was living with me as he is obviously keeping 2 homes going. I do just need to know my rights.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Are there any children involved?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The children are from my first marriage and are both married with families of their own .The only dependents are his two huskies which are only relevant as if i am to be homeless perhaps housed by the council then i need a garden for them.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

How much would a suitable one bedroom property in the area cost to buy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
without talking to an estate agent i estimate around £100 000
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my children have both moved away from this area i would consider moving closer to either of them as property is cheaper.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Would you be willing to start divorce proceedings if necessary?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think its overdue,but for now i just need to know what i can and cant do. I am away for two weeks as of tomorrow with the huskies to visit with my sister.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do feel like a sitting duck with husband still in control does he have the right to move back in with whoever he pleases.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

He certainly has the right to return to the property if he wishes to - but in the event that you decide that it is time for a divorce it is very likely that you will receive all the proceed sof the sale in order to rehouse yourself

Whether you will also receive spouse maintenance is harder to assess - but is likely

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for answering i shall think hard on how to proceed while at my sisters.I will sign out now.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome - I hope all goes well