How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ash Your Own Question

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have recently started as bookkeeper new company. They

Customer Question

I have recently started as bookkeeper for a new company. They currently sub let their building from another business who went into administration in Feb and the assets were purchased by another company (an old employee of theirs with the old directors still running the business). The new company are trying to chase outstanding invoices for the old one and they have now given us 5 months notice to leave but increased the rent/rates as of immediately by over £1k a month.
There is no written sub lease in place and when I have asked for one I was told it would cost too much money. Where do we stand legally and do we have to pay the increased rent? The business I work for has been in the building for 2 years
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Do you know why there was never anything in writing please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It seems to have been set up on a gentlemens agreement as such
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

was there any agreement with the old company how and if they could increase the rent?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No there was no agreement in place. When I have questioned them over the justification of the increase they have just said that they think they have not been charging enough previously
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

Ok. Well the agreement transfers to the new company. They are bound by the old agreement.

If it was not in writing, nor was there any trigger for an increase then they can not demand one.

They are bound by the terms of the previous agreement. This may have been verbal and not in writing, which is fine, but the fact remains they are bound.

They can not just go through increasing the rent.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions