12826847

A friend of mine was defrauded out of £20 k. The perpetrator

A friend of mine was defrauded out of £20 k. The perpetrator pleaded guilty at court and has been given a suspended sentence and rehabilitation by the court????? Unbelievably! However no mention of repayment has made. Please can you advise us on a way forward
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Is this person in work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure at the moment they were employed but probably not
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Do they have assets to your knowledge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Council house! 2 cars worth about 4 k tops. House hold goods! Nothing to shout about he used to work as a bin man. I believe that his wife works
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Ok

I'm not sure what you are hoping to achieve here? It would seem they are without funds./

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He took the money spent it, admitted it in court! The law has done nothing but tap him on the wrist and whisper naughty boy !!! So does this mean there's nothing can be done or can he be pursued legally to pay back the money?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Not in practice.

If he doesn't have the money then there is no point in suing him. All you will end up with is judgment without the capacity to recover the money and a large costs order.

You can always sue at the county court. There is not usually considered much point in suing people of straw though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jo for your help I was afraid that would be the outcome. I just would have thought that the court could have ordered the money to be repaid weekly/monthly. Is it against the law to go and ask him for some sort of reparation face to face?