How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask F E Smith Your Own Question

F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8445
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

My name is on the deeds and mortgage of a property, I moved

Resolved Question:

My name is ***** ***** deeds and mortgage of a property, I moved out 2 1/2 years ago and my ex partner was continuing the mortgage payments. It is an interest only mortgage and there is no money to pay it off without selling the house. The mortgage payments have now stopped and they are 2 months in arrears. It appears also that the house insurance policy has been cancelled. I have no assets, I rent a room in a house share and have a 32 hours a week job which just covers my rent and outgoings. Most of my possessions are still at the house as he has changed the locks and refuses me access.I have tried in the past to get him to agree to sell so that I could have some money from the sale, but he refuses point blank. I can and will advise the Building society of my situation, and can try again to get private sale of the house under way, but think that is almost impossible. I know I am liable for mortgage payments but can't pay anything, can I refuse to pay? If the house is repossessed which I think is likely, do I automatically get part of the proceeds, however small?
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 3 months ago.

If the house is repossessed, you would normally find that by the time the solicitors and agents and auctioneers have taken their money, there would be very little left. If there is, you would get half each.

Meanwhile, you are entitled to re-enter the house and as it is in your name also, you can break in you wish or use locksmiths. If you are going to break in, you are entitled to charge him for any repairs but if doing that, I would urge you to call the police before doing so the X cannot cause trouble by alleging violence or criminal damage.

You can make an application to court for an order for sale to make himself a house but there is no legal aid and hence you would be faced with paying the court costs yourself initially although you would normally get those awarded against him in your favour if he simply refuses to sell.

The best thing that you can do in circumstances like this, you are not able to initially fund the legal action and you can get a solicitor to do it on a no win no fee basis, is to tell the lender exactly the situation you are in and how awkward the X is being.

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which expert.

We can still exchange emails with.

Best wishes.


Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** in line with what I expected. X is an alcoholic and can be very unpleasant, I have no wish to break in or confront him in any way at all, let alone try and go through a court battle with him. I am prepared to cut my losses and take whatever I get, so I assume I should advise the building society of my situation and also X of what I am doing, as the end result is likely to be repossession?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 3 months ago.

At this stage in time, the building society are going to be your best friends and although they will take a commercial view, the best thing you can do is to keep them totally in the loop. Put it in writing so that they have a record and not relying on telephone calls

F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8445
Experience: I have been practising for 30 years.
F E Smith and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice