How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question

Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10428
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I have been living in a morgaged flat years. my next door

Customer Question

hi there,
I have been living in a morgaged flat for 6 years. my next door neighbours, are tenants and there is about 10 of them living in the house, they are very noisy and everytime I have to ask them to keep their noise down, what are my chances to them to court? or shall I sue the landlord? what proof do I need ?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thanks for your enquiry.

There are normally covenants in the Lease regarding causing nuisance or annoyance to other occupiers of the building (ie in your long term Lease). The lease should set out how the covenants can be enforced. It is normally the landlord (ie the Freeholder) who has the power to enforce covenants within the lease. This means that a leaseholder will generally need to instruct the landlord to enforce the covenants against another leaseholder (ie the person who is renting out next door). Please note, however, that you would have to reimburse or pay up front any costs incurred by the Freeholder in taking any such action against the person who is renting out next door. Initially, this would normally entail the Freeholder instructing a sound expert to monitor the level of the noise.

In some leases certain covenants may be mutually enforceable. This means that a leaseholder (ie you) could take legal action directly against another leaseholder (ie the person who is renting out next door) for breach of covenant.

In the first instance it may be advisable to try to resolve the matter amicably- so ideally, if you can get in touch with the person who is renting out next door, a strongly worded letter (by a Solicitor if possible) stipulating that his Tenants are causing a nuisance and if he does not take steps to resolve it, you will have no alternative but to ask the Freeholder to take action. I must say that the cheapest and quickest solution is if the Council are prepared to get involved, but take it that you have had no joy with them- I'm not sure what they have told you, but they can monitor the noise to see if the neighbours are creating a nuisance. You should also mention that there are 10 of them living there, meaning the owner may not have obtained the requisite consent to let out the property to so many people. I hope this assists and sets out the legal position. If I have helped, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer. Kind Regards Al

Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 11 months ago.

Hi, if I have helped, please don't forget to rate my answer. Kind Regards Al

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Aston ,
Thank you very much for the reply but im so sorry I should have made myself clear, those neighbours live next door, in a house next to our house, i live in a converted victorian house, I own the ground floor flat.
Thank you anyway
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 11 months ago.

Hi Stella, apologies for misinterpreting the situation. The only practical action you can take is complaining to the Council on the basis that the Tenants are causing a "statutory nuisance" (ie for being too noisy). I'm afraid you have no legal grounds to sue the Landlord or indeed the Tenants as making noise is not a civil offence- it is only a criminal offence and can therefore be enforced in this situation by the Council. I can only suggest that you carry on badgering the Council to take action. I am sorry this isn't the answer you were perhaps looking for. Kind Regards Al

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice