F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

During cross examination in the final hearing proceedings in

During cross examination in the final hearing for financial proceedings in divorce can one choose not to answer a question put to them by the opposing barrister?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

I see that you asked this question some time ago and it’s been waiting. I will try to help you.

No one can be forced to answer any questions but the cross-examining barrister will make the point to the court that the reason you’re not answering the question is because the answer would be unfavourable and hence, the court should draw the appropriate conclusion

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for responding to my question. I don't have anything to hide so should be fine - but was just a little worried in case the barrister twisted and manipulated some facts to make me look bad and I became stuck as to how to answer. I completely understand that not answering could be just as damaging as giving an unfavourable answer. Thank you once again.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

The secret is only to answer the questions and not volunteer anything. If you can get away with yes and no answers, so much the better. Just answer the specific question and no more.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid. It doesn’t cost you anything but helps me greatly.

Best wishes.

FES.