How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9325
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

My wife and I and two grown up sons live in a 3 bedroom

Resolved Question:

My wife and I and two grown up sons live in a 3 bedroom house. I am thinking of building an extension to my house which will be a flat with a bedroom, bathroom and living room (we would share the kitchen in the main house). We will all work together to pay for the remortgage required to build the extension.
My worry is that my eldest moves out before paying off the remortgage amount and I cannot cover the payments. So as a backup plan I would have to rent the studio flat.1. Is there any legal reason we cannot rent the flat (if needed)
3. Would CGT have to paid if we rent the flat even for just a year or two (only one person or couple at any one time)
4. Could I rent the extension even without access to the kitchen in the main house
5. If I can only rent with a kitchen is there any issue with adding a kitchen to the extension i.e. the extension becoming a self-contained dwellingRegards
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

If it is self-contained accommodation, it pays its own council tax.

You would require planning consent for change of use to rent it out as a separate darling and of course need to install a kitchen of some description.

You can’t rent it as residential accommodation unless it has a kitchen facility of some description

There is no CGT payable until second dwelling is sold and only then if it sold at a profit.

If you are going to rent it out, and you don’t have your lenders consent, you breach your mortgage conditions and the lender may not consent or they put you on higher rate.

This can be problematical for you if there is a falling out with the children (it does) because they have a financial share in the house then.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid. It doesn’t cost you anything but helped me greatly.

We can still exchange emails if you wish.

Best wishes.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I did not put a kitchen into the extension i.e. only bedroom, lounge and bathroom, and then rented this out with access to a shared kitchen in the main house would this be classed as renting out space in your own house, if so:1. Would I still need planning permission for change of use
2. Would CGT be payable when house sold
3. Would I still need consent from the mortgage lender
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

You don’t need planning permission if the use is ancillary to the main house. Hence, if you were renting it out even without a kitchen, you would need planning permission for change of use.

CGT would be payable on the increase in value of the rental element.

You would still need consent from the mortgage lender

F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Law Questions