How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9325
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I have a rental property that exceeds £25,000 rent per

Resolved Question:

I have a rental property that exceeds £25,000 rent per annum. I understand I cannot use an AST for the Tenancy contract due to the rent exceeding this threshold. Please advise what contract I should use and the difference between that and the AST.
-Would the term still be 12 months standard and can I still have a break clause for both parties to terminate the contract after 6 months?
-My tenant and I have agreed to a minimum term of 7 months and have 2 months notice to quit (so serve 2 months notice after month 5). Is this possible?
-Do I still need to register the deposit with the protection scheme?
-Is there anything else I should be aware of?
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Use a Assured Short hold Tenancy.

The threshold increased £100,000 on 1 October 2010


you have to comply with all of the usual AST requirements, Renting in England booklet, EPC, TDS details, Gas safety cert, etc.

this is the booklet which contains what you need to know written from a tenant point of view.

it must be a minimum of 6 months but there is no reason why you cannot have 12 months with a break clause at 6 months on 2 months prior notice.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid. It doesn’t cost you anything but helps me greatly.

Best wishes.


F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Law Questions