F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

Can you sue a lawyer legal advice 8 years after a divorce

Can you sue a lawyer for poor legal advice 8 years after a divorce settlement?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

I am afraid that under the Limitation Act 1980 your claim is going to be statute barred after 6 years.

That time runs from date of knowledge of the negligence or breach of contract, assuming that you can of course prove that the advice was negligent.

Just because you didn’t get the result you wanted it wasn’t particularly favourable for you does not necessarily mean that the solicitor was negligent gave bad advice.

After 8 years it is likely that the defence of statute limitation would succeed.

Can I clarify else anything for you?

Please rate the service positive. It is an important part of the process by which experts get paid. If you don’t rate positive, I don’t get paid. It does not cost you anything but helps me greatly. We can still exchange emails if you wish.

Best wishes.

FES.