12826847

My partner and I split up the same month we signed our

Customer Question

My partner and I split up the same month we signed our mortgage. He continued living in the house for a further 3 months. I have been paying the mortgage for over 10 years but his mane is still on the mortgage. He has not made a contribution.
I owe him 12.000 pounds and we agreed I would pay this when I sell.
I intend selling at the end of the year but I fear he will demand half of the proceeds. I have invested a great deal in the house and sacrificed a lot to replace and repair.
I thought about asking a solicitor to write to him asking him to sign something to confirm our agreement. Is this the right thing to do or do I have another option.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are/were you married to each other?

-Do you have any children together, if so how old and what are the proposed arrangements?

-How much is the property worth and what is the outstanding mortgage?

-Are both your names on the title deed and is it as joint tenants or tenants in common?