F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I have a stactic caravan in Ladram Bay Devon, I bought it

Customer Question

Hi I have a stactic caravan in Ladram Bay Devon, I bought it when it was two years old and was told it had a further 13 years site life, my contract says it must be remove after 15 years site life from date of manufacture which was 2002.
My simple calculation mean that the caravan must be remove be end of 2017 season but I have had a letter from the camp owners saying it must be removes this year.
I have had a meeting with the camp manager and she is adamant that it has to be removed this year, can you please advise
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

This would appear to be a simple mathematical calculation.

Based upon the 15 years and the year of manufacture, and the fact that mathematically that would come to 2017, what are they saying is the reason why it must be removed in 2016?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not understand your answer ? please read it your self do you mean its 2016 or 2017 am I right to complain
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

I haven’t answered you yet, it’s just observation and a request for further information.

If we add up the years mathematically, the 15 year life on top of the year of manufacturer takes its 2017.

However they seem to be ignoring that and saying that it was be removed in 2016. What I am asking is why they now appear to be opting for a 14 year life rather than a 15 year life?

At the moment, I think you have a substantial right complain because they are in breach of contract. I would make sure that you put everything in writing to the manager and then, there can be no dispute of what was said. You need to ask for an explanation as to why they are calculating and insisting it is removed this year as opposed to next year which you believe and I agree with your contract.

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

No rating means I don’t get paid. It doesn’t cost you anything but helps me greatly.

Best wishes.

FES.