propertylawyer
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
94563951

I am the landlord of a public house in the Forest of. I have

Customer Question

I am the landlord of a public house in the Forest of Dean. I have a problem with the landlords of the property. They have refused to give me a lease despite the continued promises to do so and for the past 4 years i have beenpaying a weekly rental of £500.00 without any written agreement. The property is in a disgusting state of repair but they have verbally stated that they would not be spending any money on it. the situation has come to a head with a recent failure of the boiler heating system which is very old (possibly 40 years) together with roofing and other major problems. they expect me to pay for this work but I have put on record to them that I will not put any more monies into the business without security of tenure This as all my correspondence has been sent by recorded delivery without ever receiving the courtesy of a reply. I beleive that it their legal responsibily to maintain the property in a proper state of repair. Can you please advise ?
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello Charles

I would say that you most probably have a secured period tenancy. This means that you have security of tenure.

Any agreed terms regarding repairs? It is generally the case in commercial lettings that the tenant takes all responsibility for repairs which is specified in the lease. Unless there are agreed terms this will not be your responsibility to repair. Having said that, without express terms you cannot state that it is the landlord's responsibility to repair either.

Who has been undertaking repairs in the absence of agreement? This will represent a course of dealings/conduct which may then imply who should repair.

Forgot to say, let me know if you have any questions or queries. Have to assist.

Hi Charles

Have you had a chance to review my advice?

Amy further questions or queries?

Please do come back to me if you have any further questions or queries.

Please can I also ask you to accept my answer, it is how the site works in order for me to receive credit for helping you.