F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I am looking to separate from my girlfriend who has lived in

I am looking to separate from my girlfriend who has lived in my property for 2 years. She is not on the mortgage deeds and has never contributed to mortgage payments or utility bills. We have a 9 month old baby together. Is she entitled to any claim on my property as we have a child together?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Because you have a child, you have a duty to provide a home for dependent children and hence, there is every likelihood that she could remain in the property until the child reaches 18. She has a financial claim on the property if she has contributed towards it, mortgage or repairs or improvements, during the time of the relationship but she has lived there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does this mean i am to pay the full rent on accommodation for my girlfriend and child should they move out?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

No, you would be liable to pay child maintenance and she would be liable to pay you an occupational rent in respect of living in the property.

If they move out, you are only liable to pay child maintenance and any rental agreement comes to, is entirely up to her.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank very much for your help. Much appreciated.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

I am pleased to have helped. Best wishes