F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

Trying to fine my sister will she died on 18 may 2016

Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Are you trying to find where she is buried or cremated or just details in general such as where she died? Is there a particular reason or is it just for ancestry purposes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I know all that information, she has will and I would want to know how to find out about. she explain to me what she wanted in the will. Also who she as mention in the will.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as I live in western australia and it is 12 30 am Friday morning will not be able to wait for a answer until tomorrow as it 5.30 thursday your time
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

I just noticed that you are in Australia. However you say that you’ve just been looking on the Internet for the UK so I assume it’s a UK question. I’m going to answer as though its UK because there is some urgency to this. If it’s Australia, let me know and I will transfer categories.

There is no central register of wills in the United Kingdom. There have been many attempts to get solicitors and people making wills to participate but none have gone anywhere.

Hence, it is just a hard slog of writing to all the solicitors in the area where the deceased lived may have written a will and putting a note in the local newspaper and the London Gazette (deemed to be a notice to the world).

Solicitors routinely get letters from other solicitors asking whether they hold the will and solicitors will respond albeit not in a particularly timely fashion. If you know the executors of the will are, they would normally have been told where it’s kept unless it’s in the house if your late sister own a house in which case, it may still be there or, removed with any other papers which have been removed from the house if they have indeed been removed. In circumstances like that, it’s not unknown for Wills to be inadvertently destroyed.

I wish I could give you an easy answer to this but solicitors have been looking for an easy answer for years and yet they are unwilling to participate in the scheme to make it easy. I think the reason for that is quite simply because documenting all the wills they have historically would be a gargantuan task and they seem to think that if they can’t do it for all the wills, is no point in doing it for a few.

There is no central register of Wills. There have been lots of attempts

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.

FES.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a executor of the will who lives in western super mare . My sister did say it was a solicitors who was in the high st in western super mare in sommerset. Her step daughter got hold of pat and became guardenship of her, i know that it ends when Pat died, I need to contest the will but do i contact the probate people.
It was a english question. I can ring anywhere in the world for $10 a month. vera
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
public trustee do anything
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

You can write to all the solicitors that you can find in the high Street in Western Super Mare which you can find from the Law Society’s website.

You can search by town or postcode.

http://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

you can place a caveat at the Probate Registry which would flag up when someone applies for probate. https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/stopping-a-grant-of-representation

It is worth mentioning that there are strict timescales for contesting a will depending on exactly why you’re contesting it.

The Office of the Public Guardian will have no interest in this. They may have had an interest in the guardianship but not the will.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.

FES.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in my sisters will also are couple of others,