F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I am a university student and I pretended to be an overseas

Customer Question

Hello,I am a university student and I pretended to be an overseas student and had a conversation with one of my teachers via email. After 5-6 were exchanged he recognised me and was very angry. Realising my grave error, I told him my account had been hacked. I had a meeting with him on Monday where I told him I'd lied but instead of resolving the issue, he told me to write another email explaining everything to him. He said he would give me a decision on the topic by Tuesday but yesterday he mailed me saying he still hadn't come to a decision. I am becoming very stressed with the situation as I don't feel as if I harassed or abused him during the short conversation and neither did I solicit anything from him in the conversation. At worst I wasted his time. He is now claiming that he will take the case to the police if he wants but my intentions were never sinister and I have apologised profusely for my actions.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon. I dealt with the original question for you. What is different about what you are asking now than what you are asking before?

Best wishes

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The situation has progressed now. I told you that I had a meeting with him on Monday, in that meeting he asked me to write him an email explaining my actions which I did and he said he'd give me a decision as to how to resolve the issue by Tuesday. He then mailed me yesterday saying that he still hasn't come to a decision and could take the matter to the police for abusive emails. However, he'd been sending me emails titled fraud over the weekend late at night and causing me a lot of stress. How seriously do you think the police will take this if he brings the case to them?

Things have turned around a bit then. If he is now keeping you dangling on a string and sending you emails entitled fraud and suchlike, then he is harassing and you are entitled to protection from harassment under the Protection from Harassment Act which is a police matter. You could now go to the police over his actions!

If he was going to do anything, he would have done it by now. He is playing games with you. Don’t get stressed out. Even if he goes to the police, (and just because he says he has, don’t necessarily believe it) I would be surprised in the extreme if they took it any further. This is not something that I would be losing sleep over.

It depends on how hard you want to get back at him. You could always email him and say that as this is clearly not going to go anywhere, he’s not reported it to the police and hence, you are going to close the matter and put it behind you and appreciate that if he would not email you about it again. If he does, then you have a much better harassment complaint to make. He either has to reported to the police or shut up. He cannot go rumbling on for ever like a thunderstorm.

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.

FES.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
On Friday he wrote to me via email saying I had a meeting with him and an academic director on Monday which I attended. He also wrote however, that I was not allowed to contact him again until Monday. Then over the weekend the emailed me saying Fraud email check which I've already told you about. He did this are 11:30 pm on Friday night, 12:30 am on Saturday night and 6:30 pm on Sunday but had forbidden me from contacting him in any way. This caused me a lot of stress over the weekend and then on Monday the director who was sat there was also taking his side and didn't let me say my dude of the story
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have been very sincere and honest in all my apologies to both the teacher and academic director but they don't seem to let this go. They haven't given me a decision even though they said I'd get one for Tuesday. All this talk of police and fraud has given me a lot of emotional stress. I admit I made a mistake but I have apologised multiple times but this teacher is just stringing me along.

There is no doubt in my mind that if he has emailed you three times about this over the weekend and still did nothing, he has no intention of doing anything except to harass you. I agree with you, he is just stringing you along and hence my suggestion that he is now harassing you. In my opinion, you need to tell him that either he has to go to the police draw a line under it or you will go to the police because it needs resolving and everyone needs to move on. At this stage, I think your best form of defence is going to be attack.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am very worried that if I go on the offensive then the academic director might do something with my degree certificate which I'm yet to receive. I don't want to make this situation worse but I'm really stressing out over the police and fraud cases as I have never been involved in such things before
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have written sincere apologies to both but they are stringing me along. It's been almost a whole week since this mess occurred. I just want to be rid of it.

That is a completely separate issue and if he decides to become awkward over the certificate which he has no right to do, you would be faced with threatening the director for legal proceedings to make him give you the certificate.

We are now going round in circles again. I really don’t think that the teacher has any grounds to complain and if he does, I would be amazed if it went anywhere.

Why not just put it to him, directly, that it’s grossly unfair to keep hanging on, either go directly to the police now or draw a line under it. Tell him that you do not want any more emails from him. Leave it at that.