Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Living in London since 1987 and I want to apply Leave /

I'm Spanish, living in London since 1987 and I want to apply for Indefine Leave / British nationality. The application asks for any criminal records and I have 4 charges of shoplifting between 1988 and 1991. Will this fail my application?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can wait a bit longer, will you be able to get an answer by the end of next week? Please let me know. Strangely, I have already been charged for this consultation.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you. You can ask for a refund at any time under our terms and conditions.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. These shoplifting charges will not fail your application because they took place a long time ago. Essentially, the Home Office will grant citizenship even if the person has offended so long as the convictions are "spent" in accordance with the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act which provides that minor offences become spent after seven years after the sentence expires. So here, you don't need to worry.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. HOwever, you should be aware that you need to have a Permanent Residence card for one year before you make your citizenship application. Here is a link to he application form https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/505032/EEA_PR__03-16.pdf

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

3. A Permanent Residence card is necessary in order that you may show you were visa free in the UK BEFORE you apply for citizenship for a period of one year. There is no need to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. You can go straight to citizenship and apply for it.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

4. Please Rate the answer, Santos, as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Buachaill, Barrister
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience