I have recently moved out of a privately rented property. On

Customer Question

I have recently moved out of a privately rented property. On the inventory checkout the property was deemed as returned acceptable with no major discrepancies.
Having been pleased with the report I expected my security deposit of £1800 returned. The following day I received an email from the letting agent informing me of £918 repair bill will be deducted from my deposit. I argued the point that the report indicated I returned it in an acceptable condition but I was dismissed and told I must pay the bill. I then said I will raise a dispute with the deposit protection company, they have now after 3 weeks decided that the carpets also require professional cleaning and will be adding extra to the bill.
My question is with a copy of the checkout report stating everything is OK
Am I right in thinking I have proof the property was returned ok and that they are trying to con me out of my deposit?
Would I best to let the deposit protection company resolve this or would it be better to take them to court?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

What is the nature of the damage?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Scuffs and marks on the wall which was deemed acceptable normal wear and tear on the checkout report.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It clearly states "NO MAJOR DISCREPANCIES"
I feel over half my deposit is a major discrepancy
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Is that what they are claiming?

So, effectively they were noticed but they say it is not normal wear and tear?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
at present they are claiming £918 for painting the whole house even though the report states it's normal wear and tear.
And also they informed me yesterday additional charges will be added for professional cleaning of the carpet. This additional charge is 3 weeks after I've moved out and also someone else now lives there. I do not know the extra charge as of yet as they are having it quoted today apparently.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

The inventory is not gospel. It is just a piece of evidence.

Actually here it really doesn't add much at all because the damage was noted in that document. It was just set down as wear and tear which is a view with which they disagree.

It will come down to a dispute over opinion really.

On the face of it, it does seem expensive and probably would be worth raising complaint.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But the report is an opinion of a person who does this professionally for a living.
Surely his opinion counts for more?Would raising a dispute with the deposit company be better option then taking them to court?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

No, it is a report of a person who records evidence. His opinion is not worth more and, in fact, probably would not be considered on the point of wear and tear.

Generally speaking the deposit company is better just because there is no cost.