How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10657
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

My husband who has Alzheimer's and is now in a home and s

This answer was rated:

My husband who has Alzheimer's and is now in a home and his financial affairs are in the process of being taken over by Durham County Council Legal department . He wants to draw some money from his account _ can he do this? I am his wife.


I take it that you do not have a Power of Attorney for your husband?

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your reply.

I am afraid that if your husband does not have mental capacity, the only way his bank account can be operated is if you apply to become his Deputy (which is the same thing as an Attorney but is the phrase used where a party themselves have not nominated someone to look after their financial affairs).

You can apply yourself via the Court of Protection. Here is the link-

or you can ask a local Wills Solicitor to make the application for you. It is a long winded process, but it may be worth while long term.

On a side issue, as your husband's capital will now be monitored, it is not permissible for him/you as Deputy to withdraw money and for example gift it to third parties.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your kind attention so sorry that it hasn't helped me.

I am sorry I couldn't give you a more favourable solution.

If I have answered your question, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

All the best.


Please don't forget to rate my answer, so I may get credited for my time.

Many thanks


Please don't forget to rate my answer. Thanks Al

Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you