F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I have a situation whereby I went through a company called

I have a situation whereby I went through a company called Absolute Barrister re a fraud case I was involved in.
Most of the charges were thrown out and I was acquitted. The judge awarded costs. To apply for my costs I need invoices from Absolute Barrister. It is like getting blood out of stone. I have asked many times for invoices in vain. I need them for my costs.
The problem now is that we are running out of time.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 12 months ago.

Is the barrister that you used actually on the Bar Council register? If so, you can make a threat to the Bar Council if they don’t let you have a receipt.

Do you have a bank statement showing the money you have paid and paid to? Do you have their voices asking for those amounts of money?

Do you have the emails or letters requesting the invoices?

I would submit those with an explanation that you are unable to get a response from the Barrister and asked the court to accept the documentary proof that you have. There is no reason why the court cannot accept that.

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.

FES.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The people that run AB are barristers but non practicing. They provided the barrister...a very good one. Yes I have emails of them asking for money plus I can provide documentary evidence of payments.

That is a shame. In which case, I would go along the route which I outlined. But read about my telephone call.

I don’t know whether the address is an accommodation address or virtual office, how much money is involved, but depending on it being a physical address with people working for the organisation, you could jump on the train into the middle of London and actually turn up on their doorstep. Before doing that, you need to make sure that it isn’t an empty office/virtual office with just the telephone line.

However I did make a telephone call to the organisation 0800(###) ###-####and after having spoken to the gentleman who answered the phone who was very cagey and unhelpful, I got through to a very helpful lady (I hope he isn’t the one you’ve been speaking to!), Carrie said that if you called her personally, she would deal with it for you. I did say that I didn’t know who you were but she said that she was happy to deal with it. I explained the you wanted was a receipt for the purposes of your bill. I explain how happy you were. Fingers crossed it will get sorted.

If it is her that you’ve been speaking to, and she is the one who has failed to deal, then you are faced with dealing with it how I suggested.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.

FES.