12826847

My daughter paid wedding dress £2138. Part of the purchase

Customer Question

My daughter paid for a wedding dress £2138 . Part of the purchase contracts was to pay for alterations over and above dress cost . Alterations bill £240 . The dress was altered to a very poor standard . So much so my daughter 2 weeks before wedding had to go out and buy an alternative dress. My daughter has not yet collected the original dress.
The bridal shop are demanding they will not give us the dress to resell until the alterations are paid for. They have also said they want to charge for storage of dress until collected .
I am going to the shop tomorrow . Can you advise me of the best way to handle the situation .
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Are you asking whether she is liable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am asking if they have the right to hold the dress . Can we request full refund for unsatisfactory goods
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, they can withhold an item until their bill is paid.

There is nothing unlawful in that per se.