F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

A)he leaves two or more motor vehicles parked within 500

a)he leaves two or more motor vehicles parked within 500 metres of each other on a road or roads where they are exposed or advertised for sale, orHi there,
Could you please explain what this paragraph means of the clean neighbourhood act?
I have a car sales business and sometimes my cars spill out on the road outside my garage.
There are no parking restrictions outside and these vehicles are motd, taxed and insured.
I am aware of the fact that I can only have a sign in one vehicle, and any other has no form of advertisement in the vehicle, so just appear to be parked vehicles, they are however advertised on my website.
Am I breaking the law in respect to the above paragraph, as in effect, I have 1 vehicle displaying for sale and nothing in any other vehicle apart from being on the Internet.
Many thanks for your reply in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, it's from the clean neighbourhood act 2005.
I just need to understand the definition as I can't work out whether that law of having to keep two vehicles 500 meters apart apply to vehicles displaying prices or not ?
As I say, I only have a single car displaying a price board outside my business premises of 32 years, the the others have nothing in them whatsoever, but have been told they must be 500 meters apart as although they have no signage in them, they are advertised on my website on the Internet.
Thank again
Ken
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

In cases like this, it would be up to the court to how it interprets the legislation, however this is how it works and this is what would happen, in my opinion, if this ended up in court.

Break the wording down into 2 parts

Where they are exposed for sale

Where they are advertised for sale.

If the judge ask you to give a simple yes no and unqualified answer to the following two questions, what would the answers be.

Are the vehicles advertised for sale?

Are the vehicles exposed for sale?

I think you would struggle to reply “no” to both questions.

Hence, the 500 m apart rule applies.

If you remove them from the website, they are still exposed for sale.

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.

FES.