Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have brought some woodland to camp on 28 day rule do I

Customer Question

I have brought some woodland to camp on 28 day rule do I need planning permission to site a static caravan?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please continue until the end of Monday then refund my mom net if you do not have a full andwer
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Dear *****sy, I regret to say that you will need planning permission to site a static caravan on the woodland. This is because a static caravan is no longer a temporary structure, so as a result, it requires planning permission. It would only be a temporary caravan with wheels which would not require planning permission. However, once you take the wheels off and attach things such as water and electricity, you require planning permission.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do are you saying if I. Use something that is on wheels I do not need permission I have a motor home and a standard caravan
And a shed ( common garden shed) so I shouldn't need permission for those items? Is there any size or height restrictions if I build a new shed instead? Would that count as a tempory structure? Also my solar panels and camping shower that pumps water from a bucket so they count as adding g water and electricity?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

3. Essentially, so long as your caravan can be removed immediately, for example, if it is on wheels and can be driven away, it is a temporary structure. It is only if the caravan rests in a permanent form on the ground that it needs planning permission. The example, I gave of taking the wheels off is making it permanent. Adding electricity making it permanent would involve a connection to the electricity supply. Obviously, if you are using solely solar panels, then this is not a connection to the main electricity supply and so is temporary. Again adding water would involve connecting to the water mains and making the connection permanent. These are examples of making a structure permanent so it needs planning permission.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

4. There are exemptions in the planning code for sheds. However, once you live in the shed it is a residential structure and you would need planning permission. Planning permission is required for all residential structures which are not of a temporary nature. Normally temporary is interpreted as meaning six months.