ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

Im on disability allowance and employment support allowance

Customer Question

Im on disability allowance and employment support allowance benefits. Can i get help with costs of a divorce through legal aid?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

Please may I ask:

- was there any domestic violence in your marriage - either physical, emotional or financial?

- is your ESA income based or contribution based?

- do you have any savings? if so - how much?

kind regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I suffered a suicide attempt and mental breakdown due to the emotional abuse my partner subjected me to. She's continuing to try and interfere in my life after we have been separated for 8 months. My era was contributionary based. There are no assets to split she took what she wanted when she left me. I live in a local authority rented house. No savings on my part
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm trying to move on with my life as best I can. I'm still under a psychiatrist and am on medication. I just want it to n over with and for her to leave me alone

Thank you for your response.

I am very sorry to hear about the difficulties you are experiencing with your ex.

In respect of obtaining legal aid to help you with divorce there are 2 parts:

1) you need domestic violence evidence.

As your GP/psychiatrist to complete this letter for you - this will count as your DV evidence for 5 years once complete:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/give-evidence-of-injuries-consistent-with-domestic-violence

2) your means

You need to have less than £3k in savings

As your ESA is contribution based - a legal aid solicitor will need to do a full assessment with you once your DV letter has been completed. Basically as a rough guide - all your income is added together. Your DLA is not counted. Your rent is taken off. If what is left is £733 or less - you will qualify.

The solicitor will be able to do this assessment for you for free when you have the DV letter.

Kind Regards

Caroline

If you have found this service useful - please kindly remember to star rate our service so that we receive credit for helping you today