How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ash Your Own Question

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10914
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Police took a complaint from me regarding my allegation that

Customer Question

Police took a complaint from me regarding my allegation that a former employee stole a lap top from my company. The cautioned the suspect and searched her flat but did not pursue the matter further. I asked them to clear the matter of their desks and give me a report which I could present to Edinburgh police, where the suspect now lives, but they refused to do so. I now discover that the Incident was "written off on 19th Nov 2014 yet since all that time has gone past police neglected to tell me about the "written off" development. Now they will not let me see this document. Have I got a legal right to view it and by what process can this be done?
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Have they given you a reason why?

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10914
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will double the offer to £88 if you can simply write an answer, YES or No, and qualify the decision with a reason.
Expert:  Ash replied 3 months ago.

The answer is NO.

The reason is that when you make a complaint to the Police, you are not in charge of the case, the Police are.

The law says that the Police have no duty to you. Therefore as the case belongs to the Police, it is up to them (and the Prosecutor) as to what happens.

You are the complainant, the witness to the case. Therefore as such you have no right whatsoever to the criminal case documents

Under the law (Criminal Procedure (Scotland) Act 1995) or Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 (England and Wales) you are not entitled to copy documents.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When the suspect ran off with the lap top and £6.5K cash from my company police did nothing about the matter, asserting that it was a civil matter. When I pursued the suspect for an explanation police charged me with "stalking". Procurator Fiscal has now written to Lord Advocate seeking permission to drop the case. I have written to Chief Constable complaining that six of his police officers have either obstructed or perverted the course of justice but I need a copy of the Incident "Write off" to help prove my case. Can I apply to a court for this evidence. My defence bill currently sits at £64K and I want to hold the police liable for the damage. Evidence now suggests that the suspect has mental health problems which police failed to notice.
Expert:  Ash replied 3 months ago.

You can try to apply to Court for disclosure, but as I have indicated above it is not likely to succeed.

You cant make them bring it and you cant make them disclose.

But try applying to the Court.

Does that clarify? Alex

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice