75100385

Police took a complaint from me regarding my allegation that

Customer Question

Police took a complaint from me regarding my allegation that a former employee stole a lap top from my company. The cautioned the suspect and searched her flat but did not pursue the matter further. I asked them to clear the matter of their desks and give me a report which I could present to Edinburgh police, where the suspect now lives, but they refused to do so. I now discover that the Incident was "written off on 19th Nov 2014 yet since all that time has gone past police neglected to tell me about the "written off" development. Now they will not let me see this document. Have I got a legal right to view it and by what process can this be done?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Have they given you a reason why?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will double the offer to £88 if you can simply write an answer, YES or No, and qualify the decision with a reason.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

The answer is NO.

The reason is that when you make a complaint to the Police, you are not in charge of the case, the Police are.

The law says that the Police have no duty to you. Therefore as the case belongs to the Police, it is up to them (and the Prosecutor) as to what happens.

You are the complainant, the witness to the case. Therefore as such you have no right whatsoever to the criminal case documents

Under the law (Criminal Procedure (Scotland) Act 1995) or Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 (England and Wales) you are not entitled to copy documents.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the suspect ran off with the lap top and £6.5K cash from my company police did nothing about the matter, asserting that it was a civil matter. When I pursued the suspect for an explanation police charged me with "stalking". Procurator Fiscal has now written to Lord Advocate seeking permission to drop the case. I have written to Chief Constable complaining that six of his police officers have either obstructed or perverted the course of justice but I need a copy of the Incident "Write off" to help prove my case. Can I apply to a court for this evidence. My defence bill currently sits at £64K and I want to hold the police liable for the damage. Evidence now suggests that the suspect has mental health problems which police failed to notice.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

You can try to apply to Court for disclosure, but as I have indicated above it is not likely to succeed.

You cant make them bring it and you cant make them disclose.

But try applying to the Court.

Does that clarify? Alex