75100385

Where do I stand legally if I send to a third party

Customer Question

Hi there, where do I stand legally if I send to a third party screenshots of a text/whatsapp conversation?
Scenario - met a man on a online dating site. Some months later it transpired that he is living/sharing a house with someone ( his story is she's a long term friend helping with child care) / possibly married ( he still denies marriage).
Just before the weekend I posted a letter to her with screenshots of text conversations - his love declarations, proof that he's been online dating, some highly sexual content texts, denial of marriage, denial of any feelings towards her ( in fact text saying he does not love this person and some negativity about her).
This was done in the heat of the moment as I believed they went on holiday together ( whilst he told me he was on a business trip).
So two questions:
1. Where do I stand legally with disclosing these conversations to her? ( there's also one sexually explicit picture included - although no nudity on it)?
2. The letter has not been yet received. If I intercept it, I.e. Inform her that the contents of that letter were sent in error and I retract it and request her not to open it on the basis of private sensitive information sent in error, would this request to her ( provided it reached in time) have a legal standing?
The reason for the second question - after the heat of the moment, I realise that I'm directing my anger at the wrong person. I do not want to hurt her or cause any harm to her as she's not at fault with anything.
Please advise.
Expert:  Ash replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

What is it you want to achieve ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Alex, as I said in original message - i would like avoiding upsetting the other woman in any way as I acted in heat of moment, hence the question if I can prevent her reading the letter.Should that fail, what are the legal implications for me for disclosing my conversation with this man.The story is convoluted enough ( as it seems a lot of lying has been going on) and I just want out of the situation, but worried if he ( or she) can now bring any kind of legal case on me as a result of this letter.
Expert:  Ash replied 4 months ago.

1. It's not illegal to send copy of chats to someone. Everyone knows they are stored. You are not recording a telephone Converstaion which may be a different matter.

2. There is no legal standing. You have no right in law to intercept the letter.

I realise it was a Mistake sending it, there are no legal implications for you sending the letter.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you very much. This clarifies the essence of my concern. One more small thing I was hoping you'd touch on - the ramifications of the texts content ( rather than the action of posting them) - could either of the two start a case on causing distress to them ( or whichever other emotional harm type) as a result? ( of course he's the original source of distress and harm if he leads a double life, but I'm worried if anything can be brought against me as a result of this)
Expert:  Ash replied 4 months ago.

Unlikely. If your Es had an affair, that's not your fault!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Ash replied 4 months ago.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex