Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Does a deed of gift need to be signed by both the donor and

Customer Question

Does a deed of gift for shares need to be signed by both the donor and donee or would the witnessed signature of the donor be sufficient?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 12 months ago.

Hi, thanks for your enquiry. Any written Deed need only be signed by the donor. Likewise, the Stock Transfer Form which will need to be signed to legally transfer the shares needs only to be signed by the donor. I hope this assists and confirms the legal position. If I have helped, please would you be kind enough to rate my answer. If you need any further clarification, please let me know. Kind Regards Al

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks for your reply Al. Just a quick follow up. Is it common that the donee signs the deed as well?

Hi, thanks for rating my answer. It's not common that the done also signs, but by the same token, they sometimes do. Legally, the donee doesn't need to sign. Sorry I can't be any more specific as all transactions are different. Kind Regards Al