F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

My ex Mother- in- law told me two years ago that she was

My ex Mother- in- law told me two years ago that she was leaving my son and I some thing in her will. She passed on 17th of July last year. How do I find out if there was indeed anything left to us.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her name was Mary Owen and she lived at 11a Coronation road, Lydiate, Maghull, in Liverpool. The post code is L312NE
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

If the estate included land/property then the executors would have had to apply for grant of probate. Hence, you can get a copy of the grant and the will here which will tell you whether anything was left to you.

https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

if the estate was relatively small, comprising bank accounts and cash savings under £20,000, there would have been no requirement to apply for probate in most cases. In that case, it’s impossible to get a copy of the will unless you know who the executors were and whether the executors will let you have a copy. Executors are not under a duty even to let beneficiaries who are named in the will, have sight of it.

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.

FES.