12826847

Hope you are well and having a good weekend. I had an

Hello there. Hope you are well and having a good weekend. I had an incident last week where my dog was attacked. When we called the police my dog seemed fine and it wasn't until we got home he started acting funny and we found blood in his ear. I took him to the police and called the police again. When speaking to the police they brushed me off saying they can't do anything as the guy is senial.... Is this correct? I paid nearly £200 in vet bills as it was out of hours and the dog wasn't on a lead and may end up doing this to another dog? What do I need to say to the police to get them to take my statement?
Natasha
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What were you hoping the police would do?

this is a dog on dog attack?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was dog on dog. I was hoping for some compensation the dog wanted to kill my dog. Thanks you for responding so fast. What I want to know is do I have a case or I should just leave it? Many thanks again
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

The police do not secure compensation.

A dog on dog attack is not covered by the Dangerous Dogs Act or the criminal law at all. The only interest of the police is a dog that attacks a person and even then they do not secure compensation.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You could sue in the civil courts although the Animals Act 1971 does not automatically render a person liable because there was a dog attack.

Also, there is no power to direct that the dog be kept on a lead as indeed dogs cannot usually be kept on a lead permanently.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. I wish the police had just explained that to me, instead of fobbing me off. The guy hit my sister as well but we didnt want to move forward with that. Thank you so very much!!!!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Hitting your sister is a common assault and that is covered by the criminal law.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even if he's senial?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Senility is not a defence although it may impact upon the sentence he receives and the public interest of prosecuting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks loads!!!! Have a lovely week.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No problem

All the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.