75100385

I'm a landlord it had come to the end of me and my tenants

Hi there I'm a landlord it had come to the end of me and my tenants agreement. I gave them two weeks notice of my inspection and that I was coming to pick the new contracts . This same day I had a plumber in fixing the the boiler. While upstairs with the plumber I thought it might be a good idea to take a few pictures of the property as 1.i didn't have any and 2. I thought this was common practice for inspections and 3. I hadn't been in the house for a proper inspection in 2 or 3 yrs. Anyways the tenant saw me taking a photo and got really upset and said I should have asked permission ? I agreed with her at the time just keep everything calm and deleted the photos in front of her. But the husband got really confrontational and I feared for my safety still with no contract signed. They have been in the property a month now with no contract signed.... Do I need permission to take photos during and inspection especially if it's the only time I done so in 3 or 4 years?its my house after all and in my opinion I've been a decent landlord to them the whole way through.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Just to be clear, there is NO signed contract?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At the minute no. But they have been in the house for 3 or 4 years and they are still paying rent almost a month in with no contract signed. But my main issue is the photograph question ?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you cant take photos. You do need permission to take photos.

They are renting the house, so its like someone coming into your house and taking photos.

So yes, you need permission

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even if it's an inspection at the end of the term ?and they where given 2weeks notice for this ?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Correct. You dont have any agreement saying you can take photos.

It makes no difference if they were given notice, you dont have their permission

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does clarify. So I deleted the photos in front of them within half an hour taking them and apologised does this in your view resolve the issue?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just one more thing if a tenant is in the house paying rent but with no contract signed is the tenancy still valid?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Yes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I intend to sell the property or move back in to my own property how much notice should I give them ?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

You MUST give them 2 months notice which takes effect from the date the rent is next due.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tenant told me he might stay a year and said he'd give me 1 months notice as to when he was going to leave. This was after being resolving the first first issue. I never agreed he could stay a year. Anyway the next I left the unsigned contract in their post along with a letter saying I intended to move in on the 1st of Jan next year and that if they wanted to discuss it further with me he could get Intouch with me. Is this in your opinion fair ? You see the tenant then threatend me with violence.. I just don't know what to do I feel trapped. Surely I have more control over the length of the tenancy than them?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

The tenant can give you 1 month, but doesnt have to stay a year, there is no contract.

You can remove tenant at any time by giving 2 months notice.

There is NO minimum term

Does that clarify? Alex