75100385

I have had a judgement against me about service charges on a

I have had a judgement against me about service charges on a flat I own and rent out, the management company didn't correctly inform me of the costs and took me to court. I have subsequently paid all the arrears but their solicitor is demanding £941 for their fee but will not tell me why it seems so much.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

What do you mean the Solicitor didnt inform you about the costs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex
Silly story. I have a flat in Buxton Derbyshire, used it occasionally to see my kids up north, I live in Brighton. My flats mail was targeted by another resident that stole my mail, he has now been improsoned for stealing from the block. The management company had been informed and I informed them of my home address, the trainee property manager wrongly wrote down my address, he admits that on an email I have but they continued to send letters to the flat. I was behind on my service charge by five months so they took me to court. I was not aware of this. Obviously the judgement was against me. To date I have paid everything the management company requested. Their solicitors have ordered me to pay their fees of £1056, the management company demanded £800 (£400 more than last year). The solicitors said they have sent me the demand but of course they sent it to the flat, it has been rented out to a tennent for the last three months
All I want from the solicitor is a breakdown of their charges as it does seem excessive or am I being silly
Charlie downes
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Was this part of the Court Judgment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea if it was part of the court judgement as I have not seen any papers
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

You should have received notice from the Court about the sums due?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if they sent it to the flats address
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

That is fine, unless you told them otherwise.

But in terms of a breakdown, unless the Court has ordered it, you dont have to pay it.

You only need to pay what the court has ordered.

In any event they cant refuse a breakdown - you are entitled to a breakdown.

Under the Solicitors Act 1974 you are entitled to this.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Alex
I hope they will respond to this
It has all become to this because of my negligence and the trainee manage incorrectly taking my address down (four months ago)
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Of course. If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex