F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

If a solicitor represent a buyer and seller of a property,

Customer Question

If a solicitor represent a buyer and seller of a property, is this legal, especially if they are working for an executor of a will who is also a 50% beneficiary of the same will?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

A solicitors firm (but not the individual) can represent both buyer and seller in a single transaction if the buyer and seller are both related if the buyer and seller are both existing clients provided that there is no conflict of interest between the buyer’s interest and the seller’s interest .

If a conflict arises, the solicitor must stop acting for both.

It must be a different person in the firm acting for the buyer and a different person in the firm acting for the seller.

Please rate the service positive. It is an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails if anything needs clarification.

Best wishes.

FES.