How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask F E Smith Your Own Question

F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8976
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I wish to purchase two thirds of my dad's house from my two

Resolved Question:

I wish to purchase two thirds of my dad's house from my two brothers with a mortgage that has been approved. My father died in September last year so still in 2 year Will change limit both brothers will agree to a will change. I have been advised poorly by two solicitors about paying stamp duty. I have been advised also I can put the house in my sole name and set up a trust fund for my two brothers this will then not be liable to stamp duty, is this correct and would there be any time limits on them withdrawing the monies out of the trust fund. Also how quickly can they be set up.
Kind regards
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 8 months ago.

Sometimes, you will get different advice from different solicitors. If every solicitor gave the same advice, nothing would ever end up in court because each party in court has been told that they are right by their own solicitor.

You can do a deed of variation within the 2 years and then, the house is treated as though it was left to you in the will. However, what you can’t do is give your brothers money for it because of you were, then it’s not a deed of variation, it’s tax evasion.

Whether there would be any stamp duty payable would depend on the price that you are paying for both shares together, the two thirds and whether that was over the stamp duty limit.It may be that there are assets in the estate which you could “trade” offset you having the house and they get the other assets savings investments et cetera.

You could do the deed of variation with the property in your name and then set up a trust fund so that the property is held on trust for you by your 2 brothers and that would give your brothers and interest in the property although it would not give them their money until the property was eventually sold.

You could then sell the property at some stage in the future (near future?) and gift the money to your brothers.

On the face of it, that seems infinitely doable. However, I cannot help feeling that this is bordering on tax evasion and the last thing you would want would be to be prosecuted. Hence, I suggest that your solicitor runs the scenario past the stamp office and get confirmation from them that this is not liable for stamp duty. If you don’t want to wake up the stamp office for fair of them saying that stamp duty is payable, then you’ve answered your own question as to whether this works or not.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please rate the service positive. It is an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails if anything needs clarification.

Best wishes.


F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8976
Experience: I have been practising for 30 years.
F E Smith and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions