12826847

I have been accused of sending a not very nice text message

I have been accused of sending a not very nice text message to someone. The person who has showed this to someone has my name on the txt as if it has been sent from my phone. When it hasn't been. I would never send nasty txt to anyone. It is not in my nature. Also I am a professional
person it would be extremely unprofessional to behave in this manner. What can I do about this?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What are you hoping to do ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure what to do. Obviously I need to prove it is not me to clear my name.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be quite honest with you. My daughter has showed my son in law a not very nice txt supposedly from me. I am not on very good terms with my daughter. She is very controlling. My husband met my son in law to try to sort things out, he told my husband about the text message.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Doesn't the message reveal whether or not it was sent from your phone?

Is there any reason you need to do anything?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Unless he is threatening to act against you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think my son in law would check the phone no. The problem is that if my daughter has impersonated me in a text. Who else might she show a supposedly nasty text from me too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he is not threatening to act against me. But I feel very vulnerable. I have done no such thing.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

But how could she have done that unless she has access to your phone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has no access to my phone, only my phone no.
My husband showed me how it may have been done. We think the message was sent from another phone? To her phone, on receiving the message to her phone , she assigned txt , number to her phone as a name, therefore it would appear to look like the text has been sent from who ever the assigned name is.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Then it is not possible.

The only way she could have sent a text from your number is ***** she either had access to your phone or your sim card in another phone.

Otherwise it cannot be done.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

It could be done from a withheld number or a public phone box but she could not have used your number to send herself a text unless she used your phone or your sim card in another phone.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

If she doesn't have either of those two then she cannot have a text from you.

That said, one single text would not lead to any action being taken normally unless it literally contained a threat to kill or something similar.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What may have happened is my daughter has another phone. With me in her contact list. Sent a message to the phone she is using and edited a name in her contact list and put my name in its place.Then sent the message to her phone showing my name. Of course the phone no would be different but if you show a message to someone, you would not normally ask to look at the no.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, she could have done that but it would still be revealed that it didn't come from your number.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

One would not normally look at the number but if you explain to him that he should do so then it is likely that he would.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We will do. Hope that he has access to the phone.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Well, if she refuses to show it to him then there are inferences to be drawn.

He should be running for the hills himself before she accuses him of sexual offences or domestic violence.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We agree with you entirely. My son in law is a very nice man. He is struggling very hard to make things work. My Daughters attitude is its my way or the highway. Accept when it suits her to be very nice to people.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, these accusers are always the same. A danger to everybody around them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried for years to keep our relationship amicable. Constantly living with threats of not seeing my grandchildren. When I dared to confront her with not answering phone calls( I do not phone her often I would not dare as that would be interfering in her life) I am no longer allowed to see them.
She is now trying to turn my family against me. I will ask my son in law to look at the phone no the text was sent from. But feel sure she will have deleted the text. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

If she has deleted the text then offer to show him your phone.

Or show him your itemised bill which should not record a text.

All the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.