How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have an issue with HMRC and APN demands which I can't

Resolved Question:

Hi I have an issue with HMRC and APN demands which I can't possibly pay. What kind of lawyer should I speak to.
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 12 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

How much is owing please?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi over 3 years tax plus NI it's almost 30k. I don't have this as I was out of work all of 2015. I've already told this to HMRC. I can't afford the extra phone charge.
Expert:  Ash replied 12 months ago.

have you tried to negotiate a repayment plan?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I've asked them to write some of it off bearing in mind Cameron'slaw was backdated. It will take me a decade to pay it back. I'm losing currently a third of my salary to rent being in London & as I now pay PAYE & tax is high (1200)
Expert:  Ash replied 12 months ago.

Ok. Do you own any assets?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No. I don't own a home or a car or anything. As I told them all I have is body parts (which isn't that funny)
Expert:  Ash replied 12 months ago.

Ok. It may be that you could go bankrupt. After twelve mo this you are released and the debts written off.

In reality this should be something that you consider if you owe £30k and don't have any assets.

It would write off all debts you owe, not just HMRC.

Or you could consider an IVA but you can be tied in for five years.

If they refuse a repayment plan they could make you bankrupt anyway, but it's something to consider.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?


Customer: replied 12 months ago.
If I go bankrupt does that mean I could never buy a property? I would one day like to stop renting. If I choose bankruptcy how do I go about it?
Expert:  Ash replied 12 months ago.

No, there are mortgage companies who will consider you once discharged.

It makes it harder, but not impossible, there are specialist brokers.

You should seek advice from CCCS there are a specialist charity debt counselling place. They can help you forward.

Does that clairfy? Alex

Expert:  Ash replied 12 months ago.

They are called step change now......

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
should I wrback to HMRC first to once again state that I have no means? They have written off plenty of people with tax credits & other cases apparently? Should I consider getting my MP involved although I tried that & he never got back to arrange an appointment
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Or are you able to help with a letter presumably there is a charge for this. As I'm sure you can appreciate this whole saga has caused a lot of grief including depression, sickness etc. The fact that my dad became seriously ill last year then passed away alongside has been extra.
Expert:  Ash replied 12 months ago.

Sadly I can't as this is a question and answer site. I can only tell you what to do. But speak with Step Change they can assist you in that regards.

Can I clarify anything else for you? Alex

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok but should I write to HMRC again?
Expert:  Ash replied 12 months ago.

Yes I would and say you are going to see Step Change. They can then correspond with them.

Does that help? Alex

Ash and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Expert:  Ash replied 12 months ago.

Good luck.

Related Law Questions