Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I'm currently live in a house which is coowned by myself, my

Customer Question

Hi there
I'm currently live in a house which is coowned by myself, my father and my brother
My brother moved out some 3 years ago due to a dispute, so it's just me and my father
It is a mortgaged property, would we need to remortgage in order to have his name removed from the house deeds?
Expert:  Harris replied 12 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Please confirm if you are in England or Wales?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Harris, thanks for replying.
This is in England.
Expert:  Harris replied 12 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Unfortunately, the process is not that straightforward and you would need to seek agreement from him to remove his name from the title and the mortgage as his name on the title is a legal interest. Initially he and the mortgage company need to agree to this. If there is agreement, a few application forms to the land registry can be completed and submitted to transfer title and it will be for the mortgage company to agree to release him and transfer the mortgage into only both your names - in the event that the mortgage company do not agree to remove his name you can attempt to remortgage once the title is changed.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks Harris, that helps a lot.
Rating now :)