How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask F E Smith Your Own Question

F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8445
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

My husband refuses to give up s mistress, so I was wondering

Resolved Question:

My husband refuses to give up his mistress, so I was wondering if it was worth giving him a shock by initiating divorce proceedings. How easy Is it to stop the process once it is underway should he come to his sensesWe live in England and have been married for almost 24 years
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 2 months ago.

You can withdraw the divorce petition at any time up to when the decree absolute is issued and remain married.

In circumstances like this, if he has not come to his senses even by the time the decree nisi is issued then there is a possibility that it won’t happen.

What you have to decide therefore is whether, in circumstances like that, you want to go ahead with the divorce or not. The issue of the divorce proceedings is likely to push the issue one way or the other.

You would complete form D11 withdraw the petition asking for an order to dismiss the petition in the matter. Your husband would write to the court a plain letter agreeing to the withdrawal.

Incidentally, it’s very difficult to petition for divorce on the grounds of adultery unless your husband admits it or he is caught in the act.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Please rate the service positive. It is an important part of the process by which experts get paid. It does not cost you anything but helps us greatly.

Best wishes.


Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank youI have repeatedly asked him to dump the mistress, and up to a point he has in that he hasn't seen her or been with her since I confronted him with the evidence - he does however insist on remaining in touch with her, by phone, text and email.I have told him that getting her out of our marriage is a non negotiable point for me, but he seems to want to have both of us in his life.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was wondering if actually receiving the papers would make his mind up for him, I have pointed out that it's very likely I will get more than 50% of the joint assets in our circumstances, but he seems happy to coast along in this current limbo situation
Expert:  F E Smith replied 2 months ago.

The decision is yours. It could go one way or the other. It depends whether the financial aspects are important to him.

What you could do if you wanted to deal with it a bit more softly is get the divorce petition and all the paperwork filled in and show it to him and tell him that unless it stops, that will be going off to the court.

F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8445
Experience: I have been practising for 30 years.
F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice