We ordered and paid a deposit on a new kitchen. The fitters

Customer Question

We ordered and paid a deposit on a new kitchen. The fitters came, were a nightmare, never on time if they turned up at all; were here for nine days on and off; they drilled through the doors of a brand new integrated Zanussi fridge and freezer; cut the hole for the hob too big and tried to disguise it with aluminium tiling strip; damaged our floor which we made clear we were keeping. We threw them out and the kitchen supplier now wants to send someone around to look at the kitchen. I would like to know what our rights are as I feel the kitchen should be pulled out and reinstalled. We have spent money on staying in a hotel because the mess in the flat was so horrendous.
I have signed a contract with Barclays for interest free credit to start when the kitchen is completed but I am not sure I want to go ahead with this now. It has been a very upsetting four weeks. I just need to know where we stand. We have taken pictures of the damage and negligence including the cupboards which are chipped and the units which have been installed over the wiring meaning the cupboards will have to come off. We employed independent plasterer, electrician and plumber/gas plumber.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

How long ago did you have the kitchen fitted? Also, were the fitters part of the same company that you bought the kitchen from?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
For Ben Jones. The rip out of old kitchen was 4th July. We employed independent trades men to do the plastering, plumbing, gas plumbing and electrics during that week. 11th July kitchen was delivered in boxes flat packed (I think) and we camped in the bedroom for a week as we are a 2 bed maisonette and the boxes took the whole sitting/dining room. The company, Wren Kitchens, employ sub contract fitters in this case all Bulgarian so we could not understand what they were saying although husband was here (as I was but working in my office space) and picked up some things they had done wrong and pointed them out to the fitters. Saturday 16th I made them leave as husband had been out since 3.30am (airport worker) they hadn't turned up until 1.30 after an altercation with sir ops manager. They were still here at 8pm banging and crashing around. I couldn't stand it. Sorry I am a bit emotional about this.

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you in a short while. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your questions to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Many thanks for your patience. When you have entered into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that the work must be:
• Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession);
• Finished within a reasonable time (unless a specific time has been agreed); and
• Provided at a reasonable price (unless a specific price has been agreed).

In addition, any information said or written is binding where the consumer relies on it. This will include quotations and any promises about timescales or about the results to be achieved.

If there are problems with the standard of work, or any of the above, you will have certain rights:

1. The trader should either redo the parts of the service which are inadequate or perform the whole service again at no extra cost to you. This must be done within a reasonable time and without causing you significant inconvenience.

2. If redoing the work is impossible or cannot be done within a reasonable time or without causing significant inconvenience, you can claim a price reduction. The price reduction would depend on how severe the issues are and could be as much as the full cost of the work.

3. If the service has been performed so badly that it would be unreasonable to expect the consumer to give the trader a second chance, you may be entitled to claim the cost of remedial work by another trader.

So whilst the current fitters have performed a poor job, that does not necessarily mean that the party you bought the kitchen from cannot be allowed to remedy the situation before you engage your own fitters. If they use different fitters to the ones they initially sent, then it may be reasonable to allow them that one more opportunity. There is however no strict requirement and this is only what would be considered reasonable in the circumstances.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you can now take to proceed further, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am travelling and in meetings all day will respond when able regards

No problem at all...I know the feeling. Speak to you later on