How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ash Your Own Question

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We moved to our newly built property in 1998. A neighbour

Customer Question

We moved to our newly built property in 1998. A neighbour claimed verbally that a small piece of unregistered land adjacent to a farmer's field at the back of our house was cultivated by her parents when they were both were alive. The old man died ten years ago and we have been using the land with the permission of his daughter. The daughter promised us the land in exchange for our labour to improve the empty property next door when the father died. When we tried to ask for the unregistered land in 2007, the daughter wanted 8000 quid which we could not afford. She did not count our labour when renovating her house and garden and she decided to live elsewhere, not in her father's property. The property is still empty and dilapidated. The daughter has died recently and the farmer advised us to take adverse possession because he said it was no man's land and he would give us a piece of his own land to enlarge the garden. He will also give a bit of his land to the grand daughter in exchange for the land at the back of our house to prevent dispute when the empty property is going to be sold. However, the plot the farmer is giving to the grand daughter is smaller than the plot at the back of our house. Can we take adverse possession of the unregistered land? The grand daughter knew of her mother's claim of the land we are using at the back of our house. But it wAs never registered and was an old road in the 60's.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Just to be clear, this land you want is unregistered?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it is unregistered definitely.
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

Ok - then yes you can seek to register it under adverse possession.

To do this you must show:
1) You have possession of the land

2) You have intent to possess the land

3) You are there without the owners consent

4) You have done this for 12 years.

For more information on the process and procedure please see:

But if you meet the conditions then yes you can seek to register it in your name

Can I clarify anything for you about his today please?

Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice